The South London Branch of the British Horological Institute are holding an open day on the 9th April 2016. This is a unique opportunity to go along to the Soper Hall in Caterham and to see what they do. Free entry is from 10:00 until 16:00 and just some of what you can see and do is:
- Read about the history and importance of time measurement. View a selection of antique tools used in making clocks and watches.
- Clocks and models built by BHI members.
- Cleaning, polishing, silvering a two pence piece.
- Make a keyring or spinning top from a two pence piece.
- Working on the watchmakers lathe – balance staff turning.
- Hand tools – piercing saw and files.
- Engine Turning interactive demonstration.
- Clockwork wheel cutting.
- Antiquarian Horological Society.
- Musical Box Society.
Courses and Careers
- Work from the local evening classes and workshop.
- BHI short courses.
- West Dean College – conservation of clocks.
- British School of Watchmaking.
- Birmingham City University – Horology BA (Hons).
- The Worshipful Company of Clockmakers.
- Charles Frodsham and Co Ltd.
- Selection of coffee table books for sale.
- H S Walsh horology supplies – tools and clock parts – assemble a clock from available parts (from £5).
Pop-in for complimentary tea, coffee, biscuits
For more about their great day, see the events calendar