It was suggested in the early 1940’s that a Women’s Section of the Royal British Legion be formed in Godstone. This came to fruition when a small group started up the Godstone branch of the Women’s Section of the British Legion as it was then known. In its heyday some 160 members were on the register.
In 2003 we celebrated our 60th anniversary with some 35 members and are now called the Royal British Legion, Women’s Section.
We have been involved over the years doing different things like whist drives, jumble sales, coffee mornings and for many years we were involved with the village fete when it was run by the Legion at ‘the Court’ [now Dewlands] and latterly on the village green. The annual poppy appeal was also organised by the Women’s Section until fairly recently.
Sadly this Branch is now closed and the standard ‘laid up’ in St Nicholas Church